Thursday, March 13, 2014

Live Crabs at the Market? That’s Weird Barcelona...

Something I found weird when first visiting Spain when I was a kid was all the live crabs at the food market. Coming from Sweden, this is something that I had never seen and found it very weird.

Now, several years later I live in Barcelona and had a friend visit me. We did the regular touristic tour which of course includes visiting La Boqueria Market on Las Ramblas. We walked around and passed the sea food area and I had a good laugh when my friend suddenly yelled out “WTF, are they alive?!” with an expression on his face as if he had seen a ghost. I had forgotten how weird that sight is for Swedes but was entertainingly reminded that day.

In Sweden most sea food is frozen but here it is mostly fresh. Big markets like La Boqueria are very uncommon in Sweden and most food is imported. Maybe that’s why no one has heard about Swedish cosine whine Spanish cosine is famous and popular all around the world. Also, eating octopus and clams? That’s also weird but that’s a story for another time.


Written by: David Dickens

No comments:

Post a Comment